Quite often when I’m interviewing a prospective client I get asked in one way or another why they should hire someone to do what I do. And simply put there are a lot of reasons why you should hire a coach or consultant to help you grow your business. But before I get into the reasons why you should hire a coach, I think its important to know what kind of questions you may be asking yourself during this process and some answers you should be looking for.
Questions you might ask yourself while deciding to hire a coach or consultant:
- Do I really need help? Do you really want to take your business to the next level? If the growth of your business has not been what you wanted or you feel like there is so much more you can accomplish but just don’t know how… Guess what? It’s time to hire a coach or a consultant to help step up your game.
- Can’t I do this on my own? The short answer is: If you could have, you would have! It’s OK to ask for help. But unfortunately most people are so proud that they can’t bear the thought of asking for help. And think of it this way, two heads are better than one. Don’t you usually get more done when you have help?
- I’ve already had several of these ideas. Why do I need this guy? So you’ve had the ideas before… What have you implemented? It’s one thing to be an idea guy. It’s another to be an idea guy that implements things. Most people have a ton of ideas, but just don’t get things put in place, effectively measured, and optimized for maximum results. That’s what a coach does for any organization.
- It’s a lot of money, wouldn’t it be better to hire someone to implement the ideas? It’s not a lot of money when you look at the output. For example, my coaching produces more than a 10 to 1 ratio on every dollar you invest. So for every dollar you invest with me, you get AT LEAST 10 back. My goal is even higher than that. Who else produces that kind of return in your company? One more thing on this, it costs a lot more to hire someone to do all of this for you than it does to work with a coach who will teach you how to be more effective and how to run your whole company like a machine.
- Is a coach really going to help me? The success rates are through the roof with coaching and consulting clients. A recent Harvard study says that companies that have a coach are 725% more likely to succeed that companies who don’t. That same study also showed that 87% of the fortune 500 companies use coaches and consultants at one time or another.
- How am I going to make the time for this? The great news here is that most coaches are highly trained on time management and can actually help you make more free time to implement new strategies and have more free time to do the things you enjoy in life.
- How am I going to pay for this? More great news… Coaching and consulting services are self funding. What that means is that you may have to cover the first 90 days of the service in some cases, but after that your results should be paying for the coaching and turning you additional profits.
The top 7 reasons Why You Should Hire a Coach…
1. Strategy – Most companies I run into are just doing “stuff” all day long. They don’t focus on an overall strategy that accomplishes many things at once. Imagine having a business strategy for every aspect of your business that allows you to achieve multiple business objectives with every move you make. This saves a ton of time, builds brand and customer loyalty, and makes you more money than you know what to do with. A coach can also bring up important things you need to consider that you would have never thought of and how these things can play into long-term decisions.
2. Experience – Ask yourself this… Have you ever grown a company to the levels you want to? If the answer is no or if the answer is not on your own, then you’re in luck. A coach has done this over and over again and has so much experience implementing strategies and growing companies that you are sure to succeed. Experience is much cheaper than learning by trial and error…
3. Accountability – Who do you have pushing you each week to get things done? For most business owners I talk to, the answer is no one. Life is much different when you have a coach. A coach is not only going to push you and hold you accountable each week, they are also going to be the most honest person in your business. So if something needs to change, they are going to tell you… Especially when everyone else is afraid to speak up… Your coach will be right there to speak the truth.
4. Guidance – How many times have you needed to make an important decision about the business and not had anyone you could call for advice? And I’m talking about real advice here. Not the kind of advice that you get from your unemployed neighbor who has never run a business but happens to be your buddy. I’m talking about great advice from a mentor who can see you through this decision? That’s what a coach does for you.
5. If you could have, you would have – This one is kind of blunt but to the point. If you could have grown your company to 1, 5 or even 10 million dollars by now, you would have! So don’t sit around thinking about what you could do, get off your rear and hire a coach that will force the growth in you company and help you to enjoy your business and life like never before.
6. Ambition – If you really want more out of your business and out of life but aren’t sure how to get it… You need a coach. Even if you know how to get it, but want to accelerate the timeline, hire a coach immediately!
7. Self Funding – This one is already mentioned a few times, but consider this. If it pays for itself, why not do it? You’ve eliminate most if not all the risk and the opportunity to double, triple or even quadruple your company is what’s at stake.
All this said, I suggest whether you are in the market for a coach or not, you should take the time to meet with one. At the very minimum, you’ll get more ideas and strategies to grow your business than you can imagine and get a sense for how working with a coach can help you.